What The American Legion Does:
- Processes more than 600 disability claims appeals per month for veterans trying to get their VA medical benefits.
- Volunteers about one million hours every year at about 160 VA Medical Facilities nationwide
- Donates about 100,000 pints of blood annually to the American Red Cross.
- Gives emergency financial assistance to Legion Families hit by Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes and other disasters.
- Through its Temporary Financial Assistance program, helps the children of veterans who are suffering hardships.
- Urges Congress to provide enough VA funding to take care of veterans' medical needs - and provide it in advance.
- Lobbies Congress to upgrade and improve Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (Legion wrote the original 1944 GI Bill that educated 8 million veterans).
FOR OUR CHILDREN
- Awards college scholarships to children whose mothers or fathers have sacrificed their lives in the global war on terrorism.
- Sponsors more than 5,000 American Legion Baseball Teams, which are made up by more than 100,000 ballplayers.
- Offers community programs that encourage the intellectual and social growth of America's children (Boys State, National Oratorical Competition, and Boy Scouts).
FOR OUR TROOPS
- Through its Heroes To Hometowns program works with communities to welcome back their returning veterans and help them make the transition to civilian life.
- Helps families of deployed troops through the Family Support Network and Operation Military Family Outreach.
- Raises funds to improve quality of life for active duty troops with the Wounded Warrior Recognition Program and Operation Comfort Warriors.
These are only some of the programs your membership dues goes to support. We are an Army of wartime volunteers helping veterans.